Saturday, March 10, 2012

Best Week Ever


source unknown, this was e-mailed from a friend


"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is
 immortal."
                                                                                                          ~ Albert Pine


The past several days have been some of the most amazing I've had since I started Life In Quotations three years ago. The very thing that makes them so amazing is also what has taken me away from here.

Over the past week about a dozen of you have spoken with me either by e-mail or Facebook about things you're dealing with in your lives. These conversations have occupied the majority of my spare time, and to be honest there's nothing I'd want more. Not only has it given me a chance to know you better, it's allowed me to share more of myself as well. I feel our friendships have grown stronger because of it, and to me that's time very well spent.

Topics of conversations covered this week:

  • coping with anxiety
  • toxic parents
  • being asked for an opinion on a hairstyle
  • self-harm (cutting)
  • sexuality and guilt (fantasies and attractions to people who are "off-limits")
  • death of a loved one
  • recovering emotionally after an affair
  • eating disorders (anorexia nervosa)
  • coping with disturbing nightmares
  • rekindling relationships after a betrayal
  • negative self-image and regaining self-esteem
  • coping with feelings for another person outside a current relationship
  • emotions experienced during pregnancy
  • dealing with lack of closure after a break-up
  • starting a new chapter of life by moving to another country (two different people)
  • being asked for an opinion on a new hair colour
  • learning to trust

I've struggled since last year with exactly which direction I want to take this blog. We all have issues we need to work through, I'm no different than anyone else. Things like I've mentioned above are very important to me, but making them the focus of my blog all the time would make it pretty heavy. What I'll probably do is mix them in with other, lighter subjects to try and keep some balance.

From day one Life In Quotations has been written not only for me but with my readers in mind. So what do you think, what would you like to see here?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! All of this in one week? You are incredible Barry! It's so amazing how blogging brings people together. Funny enough, I've been thinking about a new hair color too. I think I'm going to have to ask you about that.

    I think it would be fun if you could somehow give a peek into some of your readers conversations (with their permission of course). Maybe blacken out their names or names of others and then post here and let your readers sound off? Like once a month? Maybe. I'm not sure. It would be interesting.

    I love this blog as it is too of course!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've been busy, too.

    I think you should take your blog in whichever direction you want to. Some help, huh? Ha!

    The previous idea is an interesting one. Maybe give your perspective on some of the issues you've heard from others (keeping them anonymous, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  3. First an adorable picture of panda bears helping each other, and then an inspiration quote. Are you trying to make me cry over here Barry? :)

    ReplyDelete