Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Third Blogiversary- Where To Go From Here?




Is it really another anniversary? Like most of us, I guess, I never saw myself writing my blog for this long. But three years later here we are, Life In Quotations has been read over 80,000 times in 100+ countries according to my live traffic feed.

These numbers are important to me because I never wrote just for myself. In fact in the beginning I never wrote this blog for myself at all, not directly anyway. I posted only famous quotations as a way of reaching out and hopefully connecting with other people who were also feeling lost or hurting. From day one I envisioned this site as a safe haven where readers of all ages and backgrounds could come and exchange their ideas and experiences, with unconditional acceptance. Completely free of judgement. I want that for my readers because I’ve always wanted it for myself. It isn’t always easy to come by.

I'm happy to say I feel this has happened, although more often in private conversation than on my blog. I'm good with this, because it‘s allowed me to get to know many of you more personally than if you were to only leave anonymous comments about your personal experiences. What I’m trying to decide on is how to bring all of this to my readers.

This is what I want to do with Life In Quotations. To bring it closer to what I intended from the start, which is to have people share very personal experiences and hopefully show others who are going through similar things that they’re not alone. Most of the conversations I have away from my blog are about relationships, but also about things like depression, eating disorders, sexuality, self-image and uncertainty about the future. I’m very confident they’re things many of you can relate to.

I want to get back to posting more. I want to have a balance between deep subjects and lighter, everyday things in my life so that this never gets too heavy. I'm always happy to give advice when people write asking for my opinion but I don’t want my blog to read like an advice column.

So, I’m not sure where to go from here. I have to give it some thought and I’m open to any and all ideas. In the meantime I want to thank you all for reading me. More than anything I appreciate the friendship, love and support you’ve shown me over the years. You're all amazing and I couldn’t imagine it ever ending.

xo

9 comments:

  1. I love your blog and has brought so much to me. I really want you to blog... it doesn't need to be an advice column, just keep doing what you are doing.

    Also, the convo's between people that people share, I agree, unless that person is 100% okay, I wouldn't do it. There is other ways for you to get quality, meaningful post, (just like you have).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rasha. There's NO way I'd post a private conversation, not under any circumstances unless someone wanted it to be read. No matter how much I think it would help someone else I couldn't bring myself to ask, it wouldn't be right.

    From time to time I'll probably post about topics that I've talked with people about, without making specific reference to what was said. I'd never jeopardize someone's privacy just for my benefit or the benefit of anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your blogiversary ~ I think you should post general topics on these issues and helpful tips, like what you suggested. Divulging personal conversation is a no no for me too.

    Happy spring day and all the best ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogiversary, Barry. :) I don't think you need to change a thing about your blog. It's wonderful as is. You do keep coming up with brilliant ideas, which have brought a slice of the blogging community together. Ever since I met you in 2009 (omg) I've felt as though you have been a glue for me, sticking together my sanity. Lol. I wouldn't be the same person I am today without having become friends with you. I don't really have a bucket list (I think they're silly and depressing) but I can honestly say that one thing I have in my mind to do in the future is meet you & Sandy. It will happen!

    Cheers to your awesome blog! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Grace, I agree!

    It's been a great experience following along with you and I hope we can get to know each other better in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny Benny, I always feel better being around you. Our friendship has been one of the best things to come out of this. Sandy and I will DEFINITELY meet you one day, I just know it! And when we do I know we won't want to leave, so you'd better have a spare room set up!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blogiversary to you, too! Glad I found your blog and have gotten to know you! Love your blog as it is, but I'm also curious to see the direction you're going to be taking it in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy blogiversary!!
    I agree with Heaven, writing general posts about important issues should be fine but details that someone entrusted you with should not be shared. Other than that, your blog is good as it is. =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogaversary! So thankful to know you :)

    ReplyDelete