Sunday, October 4, 2009

Back From the Tiesto Concert!

http://www.freeclubmp3.net/


Last night was fantastic! I've never seen Tiesto live, but it was pretty much what I expected. The concert was scheduled to start at 9:00pm, we arrived at 8:30 to a massive, winding line-up outside the International Centre. It was a typical Canadian chilly fall night, but I don't think most people got the memo 'cause I haven't seen that much bare skin since the summer. No complaints, mind you.

Cut to the concert hall. Loved the layout! It was one massive dancefloor surrounded by concession stands for drinks, souvenirs etc. You could come and go as you pleased and still see Tiesto on stage. The only disappointment was the light show; it was far too laid back from what I'm used to. However the lack of pyrotechnics was probably due more to by-law restrictions, the light show due to limitations of the venue (it's first and foremost a trade hall).

Being a people-observer, I'd be remiss if I didn't give a shout-out to the players that added so much intensity to the night. The crowd comprised of your typical concert-goers, high energy with a colourful cast of characters on the dancefloor:

-smoking guy
-smoking-up guy
-Mister "Sure-I-can't-see-where-I'm-going-but-I-look-way-too-cool-in-these-shades-not-to-wear-them"
-Miss "I-know-it's-October-and-ten-degrees-but-doesn't-my-ass-look-great-in-these-tight-shorts"
-Mister "All-my-clothes-are-in-the-wash-so-I'll-just-throw-on-whatever-doesn't-smell" (after all, it's not like there were any hotties around to look good for)
-Miss "Yeah-it'll-be-impossible-to-stand-in-these-shoes-for-six-hours-and-they'll-probably-kill-my-feet-but-damn-don't-they-make-my-calves-look-sexy"
-Mister "I-don't-see-any-reason-why-I-shouldn't-go-shirtless-all-night"
-Miss "I'm-too-sexy-for-myself"
-Mister "I'm-too-sexy-for-myself"

Special mention goes out to 'Number 7'. Dude the music was already at 150bpm, I didn't think it was humanly possible to dance at twice that speed. But you came alone and had a hell of time, so way to go!

For those of you not familiar with Tiesto and are curious, here's a sample:



It's been way too long since I've been on "The Scene". It was so great to be immersed in it again and I felt right at home.

DJ Ambiguous (I didn't actually catch his name) kicked things off with high energy dance tunes for a couple hours. Tiesto took the stage at 11:20 and everyone went completely ballistic. I've never seen so many camera phones in one place! For the next few hours he'd spin tracks off his new release "Kaleidescope", none of which I was familiar with as I haven't heard it yet.

Unfortunately we had to cut the night short as Sandy wasn't feeling well, but no matter. I was just so pumped to go and I was so grateful to her to come with me, because this is more my thing than hers. She's awesome. I'm hoping next year Tiesto will come back, also keeping my fingers crossed that Armin van Buuren comes to town.

I'm not sure where this puts my mid-life crisis, but it was reassuring proof to me that I can still party with the twenty-somethings and have a great time doing it.

It was a hell of a night!

10 comments:

  1. So yes, I did go to the concert. I was the one who told him about it in the first place, 'cauz you know I'm the good little (yeah, right) wifey and since hubby LOVES this guy's music, when I saw the poster (which was only visible for a day or 2) I HAD to call him right away and tell him. Of all places to see it, was on Bay St in T.O. Not exactly the club district. I was in the club district a couple of days later and saw it again so we would have ended up going anyway.

    I was yankin' his chain for a while, acting like it was a big sacrifice for me to go ... while my taste in music was more heavy metal and hard rock (Rock and Roll Heaven in the late '80's with my girl Vera and The Bamboo Club with my sister (a little reggae perhaps?), I always enjoyed any type of music I could dance to, which is almost anything). I was a little hesitant because of the crowd but it was great last night. Had a terrific time until all of a sudden my body said "you've had enough" which I didn't really want to tell Barry 'cauz he was having such a great time, but I knew it was time to go. By next year I'll be in a lot better shape and more likely to keep going.

    So thanks Barry for giving me an excuse to get out of this little cuccoon I've gotten into and having a great time.

    I'm not as familiar with Tiesto's music as Barry but I do listen to it a fair bit at work ... energy and no vocals. Just what I need when reviewing legal documents.

    So we're off to Future Shop on Tuesday to pick up the new CD ... really liked the music last night.

    Later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool. Glad you enjoyed yourself and had such a great time.. I liked the clip you put up from YouTube. I could probably handle going to one of his show's. I know the Lovely One would really enjoy. Maybe we'll tag along one day if we can find a babysitter who works cheap....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! Gotta love concerts. Hope your ears don't hurt you!! They got a pretty cool sound, I dig them.

    Oh!! Consider yourself tagged! I wasn't sure if you read my blog on a regular basis but I'll add your name to the post right now =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony? The same Tony who doesn't listen to much of anything that was recorded after the Eighties? Wow, I'm glad I was sitting down when I read that!

    I think you'd probably have a great time. I was saying to Sandy this morning you and I haven't been to a club in about twenty (!) years. The Lovely One would definitely cut loose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, the whole time I couldn't believe I was finally seeing him live. I could have danced all night.

    Thanks for the tag, it's my first!! I do read your blog every day, and I enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you had a great time at the concert. I actually did my homework and listened to them this weekend. Great dance music! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I was just thinking about that as well. Can't believe it's been that long....holy crap.
    I don't think I could party like it's 1989 anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I like some of his other stuff but I like Hide & Seek in the non-messed with version best :>

    ReplyDelete