Thursday, April 7, 2011

Me

“What you are is what you have been. What you’ll be is what you do now."

                                                                                               ~ Buddha



Happiness may feel elusive but it's attainable. The world is as it is, I'll change what I can within my abilities and for that which I can't, I'll change myself instead. There's peace to be found in this I think.

Ignorance is an excuse for those unwilling to open their minds. Understanding breeds tolerance, which in time breeds acceptance. I want to understand everything without judgement; empathy is a tremendous ally and close friend. My life is full of wonder because I search for it. I fall in love with something every day; a song, a book, an idea, what I discover in someone (whether man or woman). Words of simple eloquence strung together. Each moment is a memory, each heartbeat a lifetime. Every day holds the promise of something learned, added to my collective experience as pieces to a puzzle. Perhaps one day I'll feel complete. I hope not.

I'm made not from flesh and bone but woven of contradiction; I'm adult and child, intrigue and vanilla, hope and foreboding uncertainty. I don't dwell in shadows nor do I fear them. There's great truth in the beauty of a breakdown; even when awash in darkness I believe no one truly becomes this, for I see light in everyone. I'll venture to the precipice and peer into the deepest chasm if that's what it takes to find it, if for no other reason than I'm too uncompromising to expect otherwise.

Words are my brush, life my canvas. I'll paint you in colours so vivid they’ll burn right through it. I won't always be the man you think I am but will forever stand before you as an open book, inviting you to turn my pages.

This is me.

10 comments:

  1. beautiful. that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i love this. love it love it love it.
    <3 <3 <3
    and thanks for stopping by and commenting. your comment made me smile, and go back and read what i wrote...... i forget what i write half the time =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the one who keeps the lights there when all else is black. Words of wonderous proportion, of honesty and light with the acceptance of sins. The rope, the rescue and ever ready for the unexpected. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this beautiful article Barry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Pea- thanks for reading, I'm glad you liked it!

    Mhairi- you've developed a good sense of me very quickly. What you write here is what I am and what I strive to be.

    Fe- you're very kind, I'm flattered. It's always so good to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where's the like button when we need one?! Love this. I'll come back to read a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks France! Consider it payback for the intrigue I find in your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'll paint you in colours so vivid they’ll burn right through it.

    Goosebumps. You are a powerful writer, and a wonderfully complex character, I simply loved every word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Shrinky, I haven't written enough pieces like this but I plan to change that.

    ReplyDelete