Friday, September 10, 2010

Coping With Loss

 Hey everyone.  This is a pretty heavy subject going into the weekend, but like everything I post here it's for a reason.

 Those of you who know me are aware that I'll talk about anything, there's really no subject I'm uncomfortable discussing. But when it comes to death I usually struggle for words.  I don't know what to say to someone who's grieving, there's little consolation to be found when a loved one is lost.  I came across this poem on someone's blog a while ago, it had a tremendous affect on me and has stayed with me since.

 I post this for those of you who are struggling with the loss of someone. May you find some peace in these words.

                                                               

Gone From My Sight

by Henry Van Dyke



I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone"

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.
And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying...

7 comments:

  1. Oh Barry....sobbing here...just sobbing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. BeAuTiFuL!
    and that is exactly how it is.
    xxm

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked your work very much ........
    your writing is very much impressive ........
    i would like you to take a look on my writing too .........
    i hope u will like my work and do give your suggestion on my blog and support me and mine thoughts by joining/following this blog of mine
    nansaawebs.blogspot.com

    your every comment is precious to me

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful and emotionally driven post! Often no words can ease the pain someone is feeling. Just letting them know you are there will let know they are not alone. "Grief" is an interseting word/emotion ~ great topic for discussion on Sunday .. see both soon. HHL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just beautifully expressed. I love to think that we are all here on a journey and that we keep coming back around, so when we die, it is not the end, but a new beginning. This is a real comfort to me when I think of those I care about that have passed.

    Thanks for sharing this. Appropriate for this weekend especially.

    Smiles

    ReplyDelete