Thursday, October 14, 2010

Footprints



  My life was touched by another today. A broken soul, lost in darkness. Yet I saw so much more; determination, passion, hope. Amazing isn’t it, how we can be surrounded by caring hearts yet sometimes feel so alone. But can we ever truly be broken, if still holding hope that tomorrow may bring with it even the slightest chance of healing?

  The intense emotion of these internal battles, with angels and demons pit against one another is unsettling, yet exhilarating. Emotions of others wash over me as water over rock, and if in so doing they erode me they also polish and refine my edges. The tide of despondence is almost relentless, yet every wave brings with it for me a new experience, a new piece of life. With this too comes guilt for taking interest in the pain of others, but paradoxically allows greater understanding and ultimately strength to walk beside them. The darkness is captivating. I’m drawn not because I wish to see it consume, but because it’s so often accompanied by light. This I’ve found unwavering. As much as we may feel so, none of us truly will find contentment forever bathed in shadows.

  We don’t stand alone uninfluenced or unaffecting; every breath we take, every single heartbeat echoes in another. Each word we speak affects someone. We wear our conversations like clothes, wrapping ourselves in compassionate words, eager to keep warm and safe. If scornful they hang off us like tattered rags.

  Every woman, each man and child influences us through their presence. We give and take of ourselves as much in passing on the sidewalk as through constant interaction. Why must we feel we walk the earth weightless without leaving imprints behind? Our footprints are not always visible to our eye but they are there, and they are followed. They’re ours to make deep so that others may have a solid footing.

  My life was touched by another today. And through the manic deluge of emotion and uncertainty she allowed a glimpse of light, interspersed amongst the heaviness of her words. And I felt strangely comforted. Because where light glimmers, hope glimmers in anticipation.


Photo credit here.

5 comments:

  1. You have an incredibly warm heart.
    It shines, and reaches across oceans, and through storms.

    You, are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHH*&(*&(*&(* I lost my comment again!!!! Grrrr.

    Again...I said.........

    I like what you wrote, your words, usually ring so true. We never know who we touch/impact on our good or bad days....heartache or joy. I do hope that I touch more lives on my good days rather than the days that are just not going to happen - the days where I simply am going to fail at being me. Ugh.

    Love your closing line the most out of it all. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We don’t stand alone uninfluenced or unaffecting; every breath we take, every single heartbeat echoes in another."

    I love that line. So very true, even if we don't always realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and you...all your good hearted words and all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was much needed Barry. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete