Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Unpublished Poem ("Love Story")


I didn’t think I’d ever get the chance to post this. It’s the first and only poem I’ve ever written for somebody to give to someone else. I’ll give you the background behind it.

I first began blogging in March of last year, and very shortly afterwards stumbled across the blog of a young woman in Australia. The way she wrote about her boyfriend was charming and completely captivated me. It was innocent, and honest, and passionate, and everything it should be. We started corresponding and soon became good friends. Several months later she revealed that she was much younger than I had thought, and that she had been writing under a pen name to protect her privacy. I thought it was a smart decision considering some of the stories I've heard. Telling me was a huge step for her, she was afraid she’d lose my friendship. She didn’t.

In the following months she experienced an extremely traumatic event in her life which she confided in me, we were able to talk through it and it strengthened our relationship. (She and Sandy traded a few e-mails as well). She became not only a friend but I felt as protective of her as someone would their own daughter. It became an incredible relationship.

We don’t talk as often as we used to but are still in touch. It’s been an amazing thing to watch her grow through this part of her life, to see her learn from her experiences good and bad. She’s a fighter and has moved on, and although the relationship I wrote the poem about has since ended she’s found another who treats her well. Makes me very happy.

Most lines in the poem refer specifically to their relationship. She loved the Taylor Swift song it's named after. He always got down on one knee and proposed marriage, and she always accepted (“So come to me on bended knee”). He was her ‘prince’, she was his ‘Juliet’. Said he made love like a tiger, hence “tiger skin”. And so on. 

So here it is.  One chapter in a young woman's life whose book has just begun.


Love Story


So come to me on bended knee,
And calm my insecurity.
We'll lay beneath the Aussie skies,
Fight the dark and greet sunrise.

With stained-glass rays to warm our face
We'll run each day's uncertain race.
Love's moments spent near or apart
With you forever in my heart.

On crashing beach and windswept plain,
Through winter's chill or summer's rain,
We'll act like fools for all to see
Or be content to simply be.

Stolen nights entwined as one
When passion's dance has just begun,
Your deep blue eyes and 'tiger' skin
With every breath I'll breathe you in.

Then hand-in-hand we'll face the day,
Climb obstacles that come our way
And thank the day that we both met
My shining Prince.
Your Juliet.





S., thanks for agreeing to have this published.  Our friendship means more to me than I can say.




MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected




6 comments:

  1. It terrifies me to have discovered an existence such as yours. To find another warmth that spreads without physical presence; as I always seem to, I find myself scared of the faith I have found. Because in such a fragile, tainted world, an existence as yours, feels rare and untouched.
    Don't ever change, as they say. Though the reality of our will, or significance, to change, is undeniable; we are always so powerless. And change can be inevitable.
    I am frightened of loss, which I suppose may hint as to why I have so little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful barry. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the poem. How very sweet of you to have written that for her to give to her then lover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS AMAZING POEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I AM SPEECHLESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks I'm so flattered, that's the most enthusiastic reaction I've ever received!!

    This poem will appear in an upcoming book that I'll be releasing soon. It's a private venture, not commercial.

    If you feel like dropping me an e-mail I can arrange to send you a copy if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete