Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Letters From You (Souvenirs From My Blogging Friends)


One of the best things about blogging is the chance to correspond with people from all over the world. There are few things I love more than getting something from a long-distance friend in the mailbox, it's a physical way of making our connection stronger. I hold onto anything you guys send me, and on the weekend I finally decided to get it organized.

The challenge was how to get this...


into this...


So here's what I came up with. It starts with a Dec 9, 2009 webcam video from a very dear friend in Cairo that I burned to CD. I didn't take a picture of it, but Mae if you're reading it means just as much to me today as it did then. I've put this stuff in order by date because, well, that's just me. Unless noted each friend has their own page...




(left)  Sept 30, 2010. A hand-sewn Halloween bag from a friend who barely has time for herself after looking after her young son and daughter, yet still made time to make this for me. How great is that? I left the bag loose so it can be removed when Halloween rolls around each year.
(right)  Dec 10, 2010. A drawing by her little guy. I don't know what it is but it really doesn't matter, all I know is it's one of my favourite things I've received.





Also in the same package she surprised me with mix CD's that have everything from ballads to alternative rock to hip-hop and hardcore rap. Pretty impressive for a country girl huh? I've been listening to them tonight as I put this together.




(left) Dec 2010. My first 'bloggy' Christmas card. Such a thoughtful friend.
(right) Jan 2011. One of those notes that makes you feel lucky to know someone. And on the left of that page, a token of thanks from her beloved pup for the birthday poem I wrote her. (The one and only poem I've written for a dog, BTW).





(left) Jan 18, 2011. A hand-made calendar, very nicely done. Plus a personal note with hearts and smiles. What more could a guy ask for?
(right) Mar 16, 2011. Knowing my interest in such things, a long-time friend sent me a book of erotic short stories. The book now resides on my shelf but I've kept the cover here as a keepsake, along with her note. Loved getting this in the mail.




(left) June 13, 2011. This note was included with some bath gel, shaving gel and Hugo Boss cologne from a friend who worked in a bath and body shop. Proof that blogging can be good for your health and personal hygiene. =)
(right) Oct 21, 2011. Photos I bought from Ari's Etsy shop, The Happy Cactus. (Yes, if you have a business I'm happy to plug it on my blog). A crafty girl in more ways than one. The picture at top of the Confederate tombstones really caught my eye, the lighting is incredible.



Dec 14, 2011. Another CD sent to add to the others, this time a recording of a friend of her husband's. I love being introduced to different kinds of music, especially when it's as personal as this is. I've blanked out names on the Christmas card for this photo but not her upcoming addition. B., I'm as excited that you're expecting as I would be if you were someone in my own family. Can't help feel that I'm going to be an uncle, or at least a virtual uncle! 


So there you go, that's it for now but I plan to do another post like this down the road. If you ever wonder what blogging relationships mean to me this should tell you. Keep those cards and letters coming, and I'll do the same!

11 comments:

  1. Aww I love this and I love that mine is in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible. What a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super sweet way to display all your goodies as well as thank your friends! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, putting this together was one of the most enjoyable things I've done this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barry this is SO nice! You're always so thoughtful. I have an array of cards from you that are so super sweet. My bookmark never leaves my current read either. I'm not sure exactly when I lost my zest for craft but I need to learn from you... thanks for sharing and thanks for always bringing a smile to the blogging community!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barry, this just warms my heart. I received your Christmas card, and I really hope that I took the time to thank you. I'll be so embarrassed if I didn't. I actually have my birthday letter I received from you hanging right above my computer. I see it every day. :)
    I need to write you back! I know it always bring a smile to my face when I see something in the mail from you!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rasha, I love that too!

    @Heather, thanks I had a blast putting it together.

    @Becca, yes and some of my favourite people contributed!

    @Tony, plus two snaps and a circle?

    @Cindy, I'm happy to hear you're putting that bookmark to use. Could anything be more "you"?

    @Amber, ask me how much I love what you've done with your birthday letter. That's awesome. Def, write me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barry, i absolutely love this. To open a book and find lovely conversation... what could be better? (perhaps listening to a mixed cd in the background).

    you are a dear friend and your words always make me smile. Bubble baths together-- YES! but alas, my tub isn't big enough either. someday maybe :)

    lots of love your way xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for mentioning my shop and showing my calendar! This is a lovely collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really awesome, Barry. I bet it was an amazing project to put together. :)

    ReplyDelete