Saturday, January 21, 2012

PDA

People's reactions to PDAs (public displays of affection) are interesting, and usually fall under one of two main categories. There's "Aww that's so sweet!", usually from people under forty who are generally pretty accepting of these things. The forty-plus crowd is a mixed bag but this is where the "Why don't you two get a room!" comments start. Fifties and over say this too but for some reason feel it's often also a good idea to include a lecture about appropriateness and all that crap.

I love PDAs. The first thing I saw when I arrived in Paris so many years ago was a couple reclining on a park bench, locked in an everlasting kiss as if it was their last. I loved seeing that and wished my camera was handy, I'll always consider it the shot that got away.

Sandy and I are always affectionate in public. We hold hands, hug and act goofy. Sometimes I'll get an overwhelming urge to grab her and we'll kiss like no one's watching. Of course they usually are, we just don't care.

How do you feel about PDA's? Do you and your significant other act as affectionate in public as you would at home, or do you feel it isn't appropriate? I'd love to hear your thoughts!




7 comments:

  1. Ha, what you say is true. I think it really depends. Some couples do things that should not be seen by other people. However, I think appropriate PDA is cute. I know a lot of teenagers don't like PDA mostly because they're jealous of either not having that kind of a relationship, or simply because of not being in any relationship. Anyway, just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natt and I are always affectionate too. We are in love, and its not to be hidden... why should we? I mean I agree that sex or other stuff can DEF. be too far, but kissing, holding hands, etc is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. Who cares what others think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, it's not like we tear half our clothes off and make out on the hood of our car in the parking lot. That's going too far.

    At least that's what the security guard told us. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL.. Smiling at your security guard comment... I think its wonderful to see people holding hands and hugging and a kiss or two during a walk... sitting watching the world go by or enjoying dinner on a patio ... is romantic.... having people embrace and lip lock to the point their hands start wandering and such, Too much info in public.

    I had to laugh at "get a room" quote... I think I was more apt to say that in my 20s than I have been in my 40s ...great post my friend..xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Depends....if there are "enough" layers of clothing to mask arousal. I am just saying that if you were the type to wear a leotard before you were to get "passionate" with your S.O. .....well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I personally don't enjoy watching people in a full on make out session, feeling each other up, groping, etc. It grosses me out when I see people going at it like they need to suck the life force from the other person's mouth and grab their crotch a million times like they're checking to make sure it's still there. That being said....hugging, holding hands, a sweet peck here or there in the appropriate setting is definitely sweet and cute and sends out the message you're devoted and in love. The full on make out just makes me think you're a horny teen trying to get some at the mall before having to go home to your Mommy. ;)

    ReplyDelete