Saturday, August 14, 2010

Down On The Farm

  A few Sundays ago Sandy and I were invited by a couple from our local market to visit them on their farm. It's generally open to the public, fortunately when we arrived we were the only ones there.  Let's take a walk and see what happens when city slickers meet country folk (click on photos to enlarge)...




Our gracious hosts.


God I love old barns.  Lemme at it!....


It was almost spiritual, the way the light poured in. I could have stayed here forever.








Turkeys


Ever held a duck?




Sandy picking strawberries.


Cucumbers


Green onions


Corn


Oh hell, I forget what this is...


...and this...


...more mystery vegetables.


cantaloupe?



Children Of The Corn


"That's it, work it baby! Own it..own it...Love the tractor...That's it, right there!"


goat


With a face like that I think this one was trying to seduce me.


lamb


Happy as a pig in...y'know.


We were pretty much surrounded by chickens.  They acted dumb but they were actually biding their time, secretly preparing to break out.  Two of them actually did escape the previous week.  Police said fowl play was suspected.


All in all it was a good day and a nice break from our regular Sunday routine.

15 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome time. Those pictures of the barn are outstanding... I wouldn't of been able to resist either!

    Nice putting a face to you and Sandy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EIEIO....looks like you had fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, my mind is spinning a million miles a minute thinking of how much I want to do a photo shoot in a barn! That barn in particular has such awesome light. You snapped some good ones, Barry! I haven't been to a barn in years (blame it on the city life), but I used to go all the time as a child to pick our own fruit in the summer. Looks like I need to get out of dodge and go find myself a farm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! The pig! I need my own pet pig. It's so adorable haha glad to see you had an eventful trip :) The fruits and veggies all look so fresh and tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these pictures, the lighting in the barn is so gorgeous! The country is so pretty, I think I realize that more after living in nyc for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two are adorable, the barn shots are glorious, and I am in LOVE with that piggy! That face! Those smiley eyes! He needs a good bath, and he'd totally be cuddle-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with that goat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a reason I'm a country gal. :) This time next summer I'm hoping to have my own little garden. Looks like you two had a splendid time. Wish I were there to take photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos Barry! I want to go. I love farms but never ever go (well actually I don't know anyone with a barn that would allow me to walk around and explore) :)
    Also, did I ever tell you that I'm scared of petting farms and goats/sheep? When I was young, like 2 years old, my parents took me to one and the goat actually ate my clothes off of me. While my parents laughed and took photos, I screamed my head off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like you and Sandy are the kind of couple that has fun wherever you go/do. The children of the corn shot is scary! lol
    Great photos though! I have never held a duck :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun day! I love your photos Barry! Especially the ones of the light coming through the cracks of the barn wall. Very neat!

    I love farms. They're so down to earth and real. They create life and give is what we need to nurture ourselves. And the perfect place to take photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post made me laugh which is good considering I'm reading it at 5:30 am and very tired. So thank you for that. :)

    xo, Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful wonderful pics and a helluva good time. It's funny how we think of farm life as a simpler life when in reality if way busier than any 9-5 job in the city. Glad you kids got to play around there a bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, that is one beautiful photo shoot. The farmers look particularly fine!

    ReplyDelete