Monday, August 2, 2010

Passion



"Oily marks appear on walls
Where pleasure moments hung before."
                  -Imogen Heap, 'Hide and Seek'


Passion. It's been my favourite word in the English language for as long as I can remember. It's the driving force behind the grandest accomplishments, greatest works of art and the most beautiful expressions of the heart imaginable. It can raise buildings, bring bodies together and turn dreams into reality.

I wrote this last year. At the time I wasn't featuring my own writing on my blog so I didn't feature it but I remembered it recently, so here it is (reposted)...


Passion



"Passion can be your greatest ally or your worst enemy.
It'll lift you up then turn around and tear you down within seconds.
Passion can fill your heart until it swells, or break it until you question whether it will ever recover.
It can push you to do things to appear a hero in someone's heart, or make them endlessly doubt your motives.
It'll make you feel higher than any drug, yet bring you to a place where you question everything you thought you knew about yourself.
Passion is the Soul's child, forever needing, forever hungry.
It is a living, breathing, seductive beast that will embrace you but consume you if you let it.
It'll breathe life into you, then mercilessly draw your last gasp without warning.
Passion is as vital as air, and I can't breathe without it."

5 comments:

  1. I love the last line. I live for passion. This is probably one of my most favorite poems you've written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving the last line... I couldn't live without passion either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word passion too - it's so powerful. Thank you for sharing this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't agree more.
    passion is as vital as air.
    i'd die without it, turning into an iceberg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. Thanks for sharing. Without passion, we are nothing as humans.

    ReplyDelete