Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Welcome to my Mid-Life Crisis (Part 3, in which I look back on some of the more interesting things I've done over the years)

Trey Ratcliff
www.stuckincustoms.com


“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”
-Helen Keller


I posted my Bucket List earlier, things I want to do but haven’t yet. So now I’m writing about some of the more memorable things I’ve done in my life. I wasn’t sure if I should write this, afraid it might come across as a braggy “Hey, look at me” kind of thing. It's not meant to but if it does, well, my dad can beat up your dad. So there.

The goal as I see it is for all of us to have as many shining moments in our lives as we can handle. Here then, in no particular order, are some memories that shine for me...

-hiked up a mountain in Switzerland
-walked up the CN Tower (Toronto)
-walked through the Coliseum (Rome)
-walked down the Eiffel Tower
-snuck into the Sorbonne, almost got kicked out
-waterskiied (at least tried to)
-rode horses
-acted in amateur stage plays
-had my fifteen seconds of fame on radio, film and TV
-got drunk and sang with one of my favourite local bands (and hogged the mike)
-deejayed in a bar
-performed stand-up comedy
-arranged and produced music
-saw the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo
-talked someone down from committing suicide (gun)
-put out a small house fire at our old next-door neighbour’s
-rode in a procession to bring one of our fallen soldiers back home (a very emotional experience)
-drove on race tracks (road courses)
-drove a sports car 225 km/h where I shouldn’t have
-saw the white cliffs of Dover
-hitchhiked in Italy
-rode public transit and rollercoasters in my pajamas and bathrobe

I’d love to hear from all of you what some of your best moments were, either here or on your blogs.

Barry

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, made me think of a few things that I've done over time, in no particular order:
    - Playing in a pit band for some amateur dramatics (Guys and Dolls)
    - Occasional gigs with a mate's band, one of my favourite local bands
    - Gigs with bands from work
    - Getting out and about in Havana, Cuba
    - Snorkelling with sharks in Thailand, they turned up whilst we were on site and didn't show us much interest...

    Hopefully many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony actually made a new blog post detailing his list. You inspired him :>

    I don't know what sort of list I can come up with...

    ReplyDelete